Brad's Worlds

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ugly Yellow Lenolium

Free Hit Counters
Ugg Boot

Don't you hate it when life throws you a curve ball? Especially when you see it coming and are too dumb to get out of the way and let it pass or when you try to stop the baseball and it hits you in the face. What happens then?

It's very, very early sunday morning. I woke up to cats fighting. My first thought was of people I'll never see again the way I once did. My mom, my grandparents, friends....... No chance of going back to sleep now. So I'll bore you. That sounds nice.

One of my best memories is arriving home from school, riding with my brother in his Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with that one little wire that stuck out of the seat to cut you everytime it thought you had forgotten about it. We park on the carport and I notice the doors are open on the house. I open the door to "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys and a smile crosses both of our faces. As we walk in the smell of lemon scented Pinesol fills the air. My mom was mopping our horribly ugly yellow lenolium floor and singing along. A smile crosses my face everytime I smell Pinesol.

If you could only buy memories like that. The ugly yellow linenolium is gone, the Oldsmobile is gone, my brothers lives 400 miles away, my mom has passed on. I miss you all. well, except for the ugly yellow lineolium. I realized that I've spelled lineolium a couple of different ways. I assure you that this does not effect the story.

Sorry to depress you. Bad dreams I guess. Don't worry, below you'll find some interesting historical facts. I think I'll go mop for old times sake.


Today in History:
1493 - Christopher Columbus departs on his second expedition to the New World. "She's aaaa round aaa" "she's aaaa flat aaaaa"

1664 - The Netherlands surrenders New Amsterdam to England. Amsterdam....Far out man!

1789 - The United States Supreme Court and the position of Attorney General are established.

1789 - The United States Post Office Department is established.

1852 - The first airship is displayed.

1869 - "Black Friday": Gold prices plummet as Jay Gould and James Fisk plot to control the market. Greedy bastards.

1890 - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially renounces polygamy.

1906 - U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt proclaims Devils Tower the nation's first National Monument. You remember Devils Tower? Where the UFO's visited?

1948 - The Honda Motor Company is founded. The Japs are comin'.

1950 - Forest fires black out the sun over portions of Canada and New England. A Blue moon (in the astronomical sense) is seen as far away as Europe.

1957 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends United States National Guard troops to Little Rock, Arkansas, to enforce desegregation. Take that you racist bitches.

1962 - United States court of appeals orders the University of Mississippi to admit James Meredith.

1988 - Summer Olympics: Ben Johnson beats Carl Lewis and Linford Christie in 100 metres sprinting in a record time of 9.79 seconds. (Johnson would later be disqualified in a high profile case of doping in sports.) Who's the dope now?

1991 - Nirvana's Nevermind album released. It's the end of rock and roll.

1998: Clinton's Grand Jury testimony released


Happy Birthday:
1871 - Lottie Dod, English athlete (d. 1960) Lottie Dod? As in "oh lottie dod"
1896 - F. Scott Fitzgerald, American novelist (d. 1940)
1936 - Jim Henson, American puppeteer (d. 1990) the Muppets rock
1941 - Linda McCartney, American singer (d. 1998) Wife of Paul McCartney....duh
1948 - Phil Hartman, Canadian actor (d. 1998)
1958 - Kevin Sorbo, American actor
1969 - Shawn "Clown" Crahan, American musician (Slipknot)


Deaths on this day:
768 - Pippin the Short, King of the Franks (b. 714) What a sucky title to have. I bet he didn't get too many dates.
1991 - Dr. Seuss, American children's writer (b. 1904)

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Every now and then something vivid like that will pop into my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home